February 13, 2009

A Very Long Day and Some News...

So today was the big day for our much awaited anatomy scan. Our appointment was scheduled for 10:45 and we were told to be there around 10:30. As usual we ended up getting there early, roughly around 1o o'clock. We were hoping since we had made an earlier appointment that we wouldn't have to wait 2 hours like we did last time. Went I went up to the front desk the girl gave me our lovely pager and told us it would be a 45 min wait. So we had a seat in the waiting room. After seeing everyone that came before and quite a few couples that came in after us, they called us back at 11:30. So 45 mins turned into an actual hour and a half but we were just anxious to see our little one that we weren't worried much about the waiting part.

So since Magee Women's Hospital is a teaching hospital my ultrasound this time around took a lot longer than we had expected. Turns out that a doctor was performing the first half of my ultrasound to learn the techniques that the ultrasound techs use. Then the ultrasound tech had to go and reconfirm everything the doctor had already done. Then a third doctor had to come in a get a few more shots. For the most part the ultrasound went great. The baby was right on schedule for growth on every body part if not ahead of schedule. A few of the measurements actually came in at 20 weeks and a few days which means the baby is almost a week ahead. They checked the arms, legs, hands, feet, the size of the head, roundess of the stomach and of course the little boy parts. Yes it was confirmed it is a little boy!!

However there are a few small issues that did come back for concern. It turns out that I have an anterior placenta which basically means instead of the placenta being behind the baby it is in front. The good news about this is that it explains why I am not really feeling the baby yet, since it is in front of the baby. Bad news is, if the placenta does not adjust and move to its proper position or if it moves down as the baby grows it could block the baby's way out. AKA C-Section. This is not a huge concern just yet since I am only about 19 weeks but in the next month or two I am sure my doctor will want to monitor it more.

The next issue which we are not sure is a huge issue yet is the fact that the ultrasound showed I am already having small contractions. Both doctors and my ultrasound tech asked me several times if I have had any bleeding. When I replied no they didn't say much more. Now I know that Braxton Hicks contractions are not unheard of, even this early in pregnancy but it still concerns me that they asked so many times. I have a follow up with my doctor on the 27th of this month so I can't wait to hear what they have to say about this. Especially since I am not sure if this is a concern. I have had some short burst of pain here and there but I was told it was just my uterus expanding and it was normal. So I will update once I know more...

Here are the beautiful pictures of our little baby boy!!

I also wanted to show everyone was few outfits we have already bought for our baby boy.. Most of what we got has been on sale and we got amazing deals on!

One last picture... My growing belly!! Pretty crazy that it seems I am carrying so high!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment